Lately the population of the mountain gorillas in Bwindi & Mgahinga national parks has continued to shoot up with new births recorded in various families hence making Uganda the most favorable country to track gorilla at a pocket friendly price.
Currently Uganda gorilla trekking permits are being sold at USD 600 per person per trek for foreign non – residents above the age of 15 but with effect from 1 July 2020, Uganda gorilla permits will cost USD 700 per person per trek. The Uganda Wildlife Authority(UWA) announced an increase on the gorilla trekking permits prices during recent meetings with Association of Uganda Tour Operators. With a difference of USD 100 increase, Uganda still remains the best gorilla trekking destination at a lower price compared to neighbouring Rwanda which costs USD 1,500 each.
Why a gorilla safari in Uganda?
1. First and foremost Uganda is home to roughly half of the world’s population including several habituated groups which can be tracked in Bwindi Impenetrable forest. Bwindi forest protects an estimated 400 mountain gorillas and this is one of Uganda’s oldest and most biologically diverse rainforest which dates back over 25,000years. Bwindi has 17 habituated gorilla families namely; Nyakagyezi, Bweza, Kutu,Nshongi,Mishaya, Busingye,Bitukura,Oruzogo,
Nkuringo, Habinyanja,Katwe,Kahungye, Christmas,Bweza,Rushegura, Kyaguliro and Mubare.
2. A gorilla safari in Uganda is cheaper compared to the neighbouring country of Rwanda with permit prices at USD 1,500
3. For bird lovers, Bwindi is an ideal destination hosting about 350 bird species including 23 Albertine Rift endemics.
4. Trekking mountain gorillas in Bwindi is a breathtaking experience because the forest is biologically diverse & provides shelter to a further 120 mammals, including several primates. More so the park is situated on an elevation of 1,180 to 2,603 meters giving a mystical challenge to trekkers. The forest contains almost 400 species of plants.
5. It’s only in Uganda where one can embark on a mountain gorilla habituation experience instead of a normal gorilla trekking experience. This kind of experience offers one an opportunity to spend 4hrs rather than the standard 1hr for trekking and also studying the behaviour of the mountain gorillas. However mountain gorilla habituation experience costs USD 1,500 per person.
What’s the best time to trek gorillas?
Uganda can be visited anytime of the year due to its climate and location to the equator but the best time of the year for one to embark on a gorilla safari is January, February, June, July, August & September.
On average the temperatures of Uganda are approximately 21.5°C in the afternoon and drop at night to around 16°C which then affects the altitude.
For those who prefer to travel & enjoy the jungle with relatively low crowds of travelers, January,February and September are ideally the best months to travel since there are less tourists visiting and the lodges are not fully booked.
The rainy season in Uganda affects people’s travels but that doesn’t mean that they don’t completely travel since this season is a combination of rains and sunshine.
What to pack for a gorilla trek?
We assume you have paid for your gorilla safari, gorilla permit, accommodation and transport then endeavour to pack the following gorilla trekking essentials but if your gorilla safari is combined with wildlife safari then you might need more;
• Hiking boots
• Rain Jacket
• Long sleeved shirts or blouse
• Garden gloves
• Cameras & extra batteries
• Hat & sun glasses
• Porters:- As a company we advise all our clients to take a porter for their gorilla trekking. Gorilla trekking can be strenuous and thus you will need someone to give you a pull or push on the way to the gorillas. These porters go for a fee but it’s worth it.
How to Book a gorilla permits in Uganda?
A gorilla permit is a license issued to a trekkers allowing them to be guided in the gorilla park to find a habituated gorilla family and spend 1hr in their presence.
Gorilla permits are issued by Uganda Wildlife Authority on behalf of the Uganda government. Booking gorilla permits with the government authority may turn out to be ponderous for you. So we recommend you seek help of a travel agent to simplify the process for you. Ujambo Boots safaris offers this services to it’s esteemed travelers and we would be glad to help you.
Be part of our wilderness experience on our spectacular camping safaris and lodge to lodge safaris.